Mission and Shared Values
“The noblest search is the search for excellence.”
—Lyndon B. Johnson
Thirty-sixth President of the United States 1963-1969
Texas State University Class of 1930
Texas State University is a public, student-centered, doctoral-granting institution dedicated to excellence in serving the educational needs of the diverse population of Texas and the world beyond.
In pursuing our mission as a premier institution, we, the faculty, staff, and students of Texas State University, are guided by a shared collection of values. Specifically, we value:
- An exceptional undergraduate experience as the heart of what we do;
- Graduate education as a means of intellectual growth and professional development;
- A diversity of people and ideas, a spirit of inclusiveness, a global perspective, and a sense of community as essential conditions for campus life;
- The cultivation of character and the modeling of honesty, integrity, compassion, fairness, respect, and ethical behavior, both in the classroom and beyond;
- Engaged teaching and learning based in dialogue, student involvement, and the free exchange of ideas;
- Research, scholarship, and creative activity as fundamental sources of new knowledge and as expressions of the human spirit;
- A commitment to public service as a resource for personal, educational, cultural, and economic development;
- Thoughtful reflection, collaboration, planning, and evaluation as essential for meeting the changing needs of those we serve.